Where to get nicotine replacement therapy
You can get NRTs from pharmacies, as well as many shops that sell healthcare products - such as supermarkets or large convenience stores. They’ll mostly be over-the-counter treatments, so you won’t need to worry about getting a prescription, but you will need to pay for them.
There are some forms of NRT that you can get cheaper through the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS). You’ll need a prescription from your doctor in order to get this discount, so you should contact them to discuss which type of treatment is best for you.
Advantages and disadvantages of NRT
Like all stop smoking treatments, NRTs have some good and bad points.
- You’re up to twice as likely to quit with NRTs than with no help.
- NRTs can come in a number of different forms, meaning that you have more options to choose from.
- You can combine treatments to make it more effective.
- Can be bought without a prescription.
- The skin patches can cause irritation.
- Not always suited for people who suffer from certain conditions, such as kidney or liver problems.
- You might be replacing one addiction with another.